Nintendo Galaxy
Welcome to Nintendo Galaxy Guest!

Here, the main topic is Nintendo, it's consoles and games, but we won't disallow the discussion of other consoles and activities! You can share your art, videos, reviews and more with the other members of our community!

If you're already a member, log in for instant access to our forums. Participate on our boards that vary from Super Smash Brothers Brawl to Pokémon! Also, you may access and use the free features that our site has to offer, like the arcade and the chatbox!

What are you waiting for? Join Nintendo Galaxy today!

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Nintendo Galaxy
Welcome to Nintendo Galaxy Guest!

Here, the main topic is Nintendo, it's consoles and games, but we won't disallow the discussion of other consoles and activities! You can share your art, videos, reviews and more with the other members of our community!

If you're already a member, log in for instant access to our forums. Participate on our boards that vary from Super Smash Brothers Brawl to Pokémon! Also, you may access and use the free features that our site has to offer, like the arcade and the chatbox!

What are you waiting for? Join Nintendo Galaxy today!
Nintendo Galaxy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Megaman ZX Review

Go down

Megaman ZX Review Empty Megaman ZX Review

Post by DragonLX Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:43 pm

This is a review I posted on another site called Nintendo Worlds. The username I had in there is Swampert2o. If you really want to confirmate I'm the same Swampert2o, feel free to send me a PM on that site.

I decided to make a review about the "revival" of the great sidescroller that is Mega Man, Mega Man ZX.

This game revives most of the old traditions of the Mega Man series, almost seeming as the "evolution" of Megaman Zero. Some innovatives concepts appear in this game aswell that make gameplay unique, and the return of the anime cut scenes. Any fan of platform games will enjoy this game… Well, let's start this review!

Mega Man ZX
By HolyDragonLX

Megaman ZX Review 244r3x1

Release date:
-America: September 12, 2006
-Japan: July 6, 2006
Console: Nintendo DS
Developer: Inti Creates
Publisher: Capcom
Rating: E
Players: Single player

Mega Man ZX, known in Japan as Rock Man ZX, is the first game for the Mega Man ZX series. This is the sixth series in Capcom's Mega Man video game franchise. A sequel for this game named Mega Man ZX Advent has also been released.

Storyline

Mega Man ZX takes place nearly 100 years after the end of the Mega Man Zero series.

Humans and Reploids now coexist peacefully, which was thought as an utopia in the Megaman X series. In time, the Humanoids managed to revive some of the former nations of Earth. However preventing prosperity, incidents around Earth began where some machines became Mavericks, making some areas dangerous and soon these incidents obstructed exchange within the various nations.

The nations became divided into various areas designated as Innerpeaces, these are utopian-like cities which are a safe place for Humanoids, and the Outlands, where the Mavericks exist and aren't allowed into the Innerpeaces. Innerpeaces and Outlands are then designated with lettered Areas.

After these events Slither Inc. is born. Great developments were made due to the efforts of this corporation which possesses a different type of technology that can only be found on the Outlands. Thanks to Slither Inc. it is possible for Humanoids to maintain a peaceful life in the Innerpeaces. But in the frontier regions, attacks by Mavericks still occur. So "The Guardians" organization was created to defend the Humanoids in these areas. The main objectives of the Guardians are to defend the Humanoids in the Outlands and investigate the cause of the Maverick attacks.

Ten years before the game's start, the protagonists Vent and Aile lost their mother to a Maverick attack in the amusement park in Area H and became orphaned. They were taken in by Girouette (or Giro), the owner of Giro Express; a delivery service. Giro is contracted by an unknown person to deliver an important package to a rendezvous point in the Area A forest.

At a cliff overlooking the area and the rendezvous point, Vent/Aile remembers about the Maverick raid that took the life of their mother. When Giro and Vent/Aile are ready to pull out, a group of Mavericks attacks them, and by an explosion they fall to the forest below. After awakening, Vent/Aile is told to deliver the package at all costs even with the Mavericks in this area. After a while they met with Prairie, the leader of the Guardians. This meeting is cut short when a large Mechaniloid snake, Giga Aspis, attacks the group. The package, a floating metal known as Biometal Model X, lends its strength to Vent/Aile, allowing them to Megamerge into Mega Man Model X.

With the help of Model X, Giga Aspis is destroyed. Vent/Aile then is allowed to keep Model X by order of Prairie and look for Giro.

Upon arrival to Area B, Vent/Aile is attacked by a Maverick controlled airship, after battling, Giro appears in the form of Mega Man Model Z and finishes off the plane.

Megaman ZX Review Mega-man-zx-20060711095624221

After this event they board an airship known as the Guardian base. Later, a Maverick attack is spotted at the Slither Inc. main office and so both Giro and Vent/Aile go to the place to get to know what is going on. The duo meets the president of Slither Inc. Serpent, Prometheus and Pandora. Serpent reveals his knowledge of Biometals and says that he is also a Mega Man, possessing a fragment Model W. He expresses his intent to find the Model W Core and control everyone in the world with it, and before going he leaves Giro in a weak condition allowing Model W to take control over him. A fight occurs, resulting in the death of Giro. In his dying breaths, Giro hands Model Z over to Vent/Aile and then transforms into a Cyber Elf. Then Vent/Aile gets attacked by Mavericks in terrible conditions, but by Double Megamerging with both Model X and Model Z, with the form of Mega Man Model ZX they barely escape with their lives.

Now the Guardians, including Vent/Aile, must recover the four remaining Biometal fragments (Models H, L, F and P) and stop Serpent from making everyone a sacrifice for Model W.

Gameplay

Many of the old formulas of the Mega Man franchise return in this title, which the old school players of this franchise will remember and love again because anyone who played the Mega Man X or Zero series will feel at home while playing this game. I say this because the gameplay is very similar to the Mega Man X series but it also contains many features of the Mega Man Zero series, like the use of multiple weapons, elemental weaknesses, etc. But this title has new features that makes it unique from the other Mega Man series.

Now the players are, again, in a 2D overworld map that is divided into several areas, that player will be able to explore at anytime. Every area of the game is connected to another, which gives the feeling of a whole connected world, ressembling Mega Man Zero. Though the areas are a little linear ,but never boring, because every time you enter a new area you will be introduced to a new style of gameplay. Also the method of selecting your missions is pretty similar, again, to Mega Man Zero. To select your mission you must enter into a transerver and select it, but there are many sidequests that the player can find without the use of a transerver.

In the levels, you must jump platforms, shoot or slice enemies, etc. Also at the end of almost every area there's a boss that you must defeat and after leaving victorious you will receive a new Biometal. As always, the players will have an energy bar that when depleted, you will lose a life, and if all lifes are lost, it will result in a game over.

Megaman ZX Review MeriStation_MegamanZX_8pe

The Life-Ups return in this title (which were seen last in the Mega Man X series), these will make your life bar bigger so you can sustain more damage. Also the Sub-Tanks re-appear here, they will work as an energy container that, if filled, you can use in the future when you're low in energy.

The difference with the other Mega Man handheld games, is that now you have the touch screen, which makes gameplay unique. You won't "touch" it a lot but it will be working as a second screen. It can show: enemy data, an item searcher, or you can even draw paths for your "bullets" to follow.

The O.I.S (Overdrive Invoque System) that appears in this game is a brand new power, never seen in other games. This special state can be activated with the A button. This gives special attributes and more power to the attacks of the players (these attributes vary from Biometal to Biometal) but draining slowly the weapon bar in exchange.

Also a new system has been added; which is a great challenge for experienced gamers. The "Lv Victory" system as I like to call it. Level 1 being the lowest and Level 4 the highest. Every boss has a weak spot and depending on how many times you hitted it, the lower the Lvl will be. Let’s say I hitted the boss 5 times in its weak spot, I will get a Lv2 Victory. But then I didn't hitted it once, I will get a Lv4 Victory. But the better the Victory Level a better Biometal I will get. What do I mean? See, in the weak spot of the boss, the Biometal is contained and the more you hitted it, worse the Biometal will be, meaning you will need more crystals to repair the Biometal, and why to repair it? Because you will have a higher weapon bar, meaning more special attacks.

Model ZX vs. Lurrere:

Gameplay: 8/10
I really don't like two things of the game… the confusing overworld map; from my seven hours of gameplay, I took 2-3 hours to even find an area! Also the difficulty level... I had some impatience problems because if you get a game over you will have to restart from the last save point and then you will have to repeat the whole level again... which becomes quite frustrating due to the fact that it's easy to die in some areas and in zones with spikes.

Anyways, the gameplay of the Mega Man series is really good, personally it's one of my favorites because it's a fun platformer and sidescroller. The controls are really easy to get with, any experienced gamer in any type of game can play really well because the buttons become second nature in no time. Though the gameplay may not be the most innovative, it will never leave you bored with all the new types of gameplay experience the game has to offer with every new area you enter.

Game modes

This game only features two modes:

Story Mode: The players play through the story, it’s the only mode you can really play in.
At the start of the Story Mode, you will choose between two characters, Vent and Aile, there isn't a major difference between their storyline or gameplay, just the gender and a neat trick with Aile (which I won't spoil, but it won't affect the gameplay in any way, its just funny). Then if your game is not rented or used, you will probably have two modes to choose from: Beginner mode for new players to the series, and Normal mode for average players that already know a little about the Megaman series’ gameplay. But when Normal mode is finished, the Expert mode will be unlocked, this is for players who want to test their skills in this game and I find it a great challenge because both Life-Ups and Sub-Tanks are removed from this mode and the enemies will do more damage.

Option Mode: Well… it seems obvious, haha... you will be able to change settings, customize buttons, etc.

Last edited by HolyDragonLX on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
DragonLX
DragonLX
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 148
Mood : Megaman ZX Review 2duwler
Warning Level :
Megaman ZX Review Left_bar_bleue0 / 1000 / 100Megaman ZX Review Right_bar_bleue

Registration date : 2009-01-22

https://nintendogalaxy.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Megaman ZX Review Empty Re: Megaman ZX Review

Post by DragonLX Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:43 pm

Biometals:

Since this is the "evolution" of Mega Man Zero, a new and unique concept is added: Biometals. With these biometals you can transform (in game, called "Megamerge") into a similar form to that which the Biometal was based on, but to activate the biometals you will need the M.E.G.A. System (Meta-Encapsulated Granule Awareness System) or in Japan known as R.O.C.K. System (Rebirth Of Crystallized Knowledge System) which is actually the game menu...

Anyways, I find the Biometals the greatest feature of the game. Though every Model looks a little like Model X, they are very diverse and in various points of the game you will need the use of their unique abilities to advance.

Humanoid

Megaman ZX Review Vent-and-aile_qjpreviewth

Your human form. It can not attack but it's needed because with it you can crouch in small places, talk to people that are afraid to talk in your Biometal forms and you can float on the water's surface.

Model X: The Blue Mega Man

Megaman ZX Review Xlr6

It's the first Biometal you will get. Based on X from the Mega Man X series. This is a Biometal made for only long-range combat because the weapon it has is the X buster, which is only capable of shooting, this weapon has 4 charge stages. Once you get Model Z, you won't be able to use Model X anymore, but you can get it again if you finish the game with both Vent and Aile, and if start a new game data.

Model ZX: The Ultimate Mega Man

Megaman ZX Review Zxwm3

It's based on Zero, from the Mega Man Zero series. It has a really similar gameplay experience from the Megaman Zero series. This is the most balanced model because it can attack both a near and long range. It uses both a buster and a sword but instead of four charge stages for the buster, it has three and the sword has two charge stages.

Model FX: The Mega Man of Fire

Megaman ZX Review 14jq8on

It resembles Fefnir from the Mega Man Zero series and all of its abilities are really similar to Fefnir's. It has two Knuckle Busters that can be used to create fire shockwaves on the ground and charge to punch and destroy blocks. Also this is the model with the most avaible firing ranges, it can do attacks in all directions. This model is touch screen feature is the "Buster Edit", this allows you to draw the bullets’ path for both knuckles making the firing range and directions even bigger and more customizable. This model holds the Fire element.

Model HX: The Mega Man of Wind

Megaman ZX Review 49

Based on Harpuia from the Mega Man Zero series. With it, Vent/Aile is able to air dash both vertically and horizontally, hover, and use Harpuia's weapon, the double sabers. While charging it can create electric-balls that follow enemies and in later stages of the game, you will be able to create short-lived tornados. Also this is the only model in the game that can do a real "combo" with its swords if the player presses Y, R, and Y (in the default setting).
In the touch screen it displays the "Analyzing Enemy" screen, which shows the weak spots of Pseudoroids, and it also shows how many energy the enemy currently has. This Model holds the power of the Wind.

Model LX: The Mega Man of Ice

Megaman ZX Review 14jq9ax

It represents Leviathan from the Mega Man Zero series. It holds a Halberd as its weapon. With this Biometal, water is your home. You can freely move and dash in water while pressing twice the jump button. Also, with charged attacks, you can make ice platforms and ice dragons (that follow the nearby enemies, even out of water). In the touch screen it displays the "Item Scanner" which features a Cyber Elf and if an item is nearby the map, it will reach it in the touch screen trying to show you its location. Though this model is essencial in marine combat, it isn't as powerful on earth, but it still packs great power for close range comabt. Model LX holds the element of Ice.

Model PX: The Mega Man of Shadow

Megaman ZX Review 51

It represents Phantom from the Mega Man Zero series. Having a kunai as its weapon and a Shuriken during charged attacks, and when used correctly, this Model is by far the safest way to dispatch many enemy units dues to its rapid-fire capabilities. This model is also able to latch onto ceilings, poles, etc. The "Radar Scope" is displayed in the touch screen, showing hidden enemies and also hidden passages and it can also make dark areas look clearer. Model PX has no elemental attributes.

Graphics

Megaman ZX Review Mega-man-zx-20060911104142880

Megaman ZX Review Megamanzx3

Graphics: 7/10
This game stands up a fight against other 2D-based games on graphics. If you played Megaman handhled games before you will note the difference. Capcom, again, made a 2D style game for a handheld but they "spiced" things a little by adding multiple backgrounds, also the shadow effects are really well done. All the sprites and backgrounds have lovely colors. I really like the graphics of this game.

A Mega Man Anime?

Capcom and Inti Creates putted so much effort on this, that they made anime cut scenes to add more "drama" into the game and also to get players more in the story. These are really well done for a DS is graphic capabilities though they look "pixilated" due to restrictions of the same console. Unluckily these cut scenes have Japanese voices... but they have English subtitles, so it really doesn't matter.

A cut scene from the beginning of the game

Sound

All the sound effects, like the swing of the sword or the voices of the characters are well done and I really like them but if you play this game for a long time you may find a little repetitive to hear the same swing of the sword and the same "Rokku On!" all the time...

The soundtrack of this title is amazing… just amazing. Capcom has never disappointed me with the soundtracks of the Mega Man franchise. All the Mega Man series have a great soundtrack and this game is no exception, all the themes always pump you up, these are really catchy and really fit the place you're currently in.

Also this game had an album, ZX Tunes, which was a huge success in Japan and it sold many copies.
Sound: 10/10

Here are some examples of the awesome soundtrack:

Area L Music

Boss Battle Music

Pandora & Prometheus Battle Music

Replay Value

There isn't much to do after your first run… Try to get Model X permanently, do a run on Expert mode or even doing a 100% run trying to collect everything… but that doesn't mean this game loses its shine on a second run!

Replay Value: 6/10
Not a great replay value, but it will keep you busy for a while.

Longevity

I would say as an average, and also depending on your Mega Man skills… Expert players: 5-9 hours (I took 7 hours). Average players: 9-17. Beginner players: 17+ hours.

Final Score
8/10

Megaman ZX Review Mega-man-zx-20060511093714457-000

This game has excellent soundtrack, amazing graphics, addictive gameplay, but why not a nine or ten? Lack of Wi-Fi Syndrome… a Wi-Fi feature would have been great for this game...

Anywho, this game revives the old traditions of the Mega Man series. This is a game that veterans of the game should defenetly enjoy, and even new-comers to the series will too!
Well... in my opinion this is a great side-scroller that is worth of buying if you like platformers, and is a must have if you're a Mega Man fan.

Pros:
-Impressive Graphics and Anime cut scenes.
-Excellent Soundtrack.
-Controls are easy to get with in no time.
-The old gameplay of the Megaman series returns. (can also fit as a con for some people)

Cons:
-Lacks Wi-Fi features.
-Confusing overworld map.
-Does not have a great replay value.

Thanks for reading this review!
DragonLX
DragonLX
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 148
Mood : Megaman ZX Review 2duwler
Warning Level :